Electronic Arts has just issued their report for the 4th quarter of 2017’s fiscal year, which lasted from January to April. In this report Andrew Wilson, EA’s CEO and Blake Jorgensen, EA’s CFO have mentioned The Sims 4 and The Sims Franchise in general a couple of times and how players were unexpectedly a lot more active in the last 4 months (which probably has something to do with the Toddlers update). Here’s what they said about The Sims 4 and the upcoming mobile game, The Sims Mobile:
- Our Sims franchise continues to expand one of the broadest and most demographically diverse player bases in our portfolio. The Sims 4, now two and a half years since launch, saw monthly active players increase 33% year-over-year in Q4. With a total of seven downloadable content packs delivered throughout the year, as well as game updates that offered more choice and fan-requested features, The Sims 4 community is thriving.
- Expansion Packs for The Sims 4 also made a strong contribution. Our ability to engage players through live services and events continues to drive strong growth and deliver dependable on-going sales.
- On mobile, our Sims franchise has been a genre leader since launch, and this year we’re going to deliver a brand new, deeply social experience for this wide-reaching global community.
- Our mobile business is expected to grow 5% to 10%, led by the new Sims experience and continued growth from FIFA Mobile, NBA LIVE Mobile and Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes.
- At our core, we are a creative company. We are game makers that love to capture the imagination and make extraordinary entertainment possible for our players. We are also unique in that we have a unified, world-class technology platform and engine that provide the backbone of our network. Our studio teams are leveraging more sophisticated data and insights, secure and scalable infrastructure, and new game services, combined with the immense capabilities of our Frostbite engine to create unprecedented new experiences. This is how we can combine the expertise of multiple studios to deliver the massive new Star Wars Battlefront II. It powers our ability to continually deliver more fun and new content to deepen player engagement in The Sims 4. It enables us to launch more major franchises and build communities in mobile. And it will position us to lead new opportunities with AR & VR and streaming in the future.