Help with managing a toddler?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SnarkyWitch, Oct 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're not seeing your confirmation registration e-mail in your inbox, make sure you check your spam folder! Contact Us for further assistance or Resend confirmation e-mail !
  1. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

SnarkyWitch Coffee junkie and professional loudmouth
    Storyteller

Writer
    My Sim owns a restaurant. She also has a toddler (three now, actually, but at the time I ran into this problem, it was just the one).

Her restaurant is still new and doesn't have the well-managed perk yet, so I can't open the restaurant while she's not there because it always does horribly. She has to actually be there managing the place. I didn't want to send her there and leave her toddler at home, though. It's almost impossible as it is to have a toddler age up with the Top Notch Toddler trait on a Normal lifespan without cheating. I wasn't about to waste like 8 hours of precious skill-building time by leaving him at home while she managed her restaurant.

I packed up some skill-building toys for him (stuck them in his inventory) and took him with her to the restaurant. I figured he could build skills with his toys at the restaurant while his mom worked, but when I got there, I got a notification saying toddlers can't visit this lot type, so he was sent to daycare.

How is my Sim supposed to manage a restaurant and make sure her kids build their skills? :/ I'd hate for her to have to give up her dream of running a five-star vegetarian restaurant because she had kids. That makes the feminist in me want to scream.

2. Chelsea Cat
    Inspired

retired
    It's a pity that toddlers can't go to a restaurant. I've made a special restaurant for kids in my game and wanted to celebrate my toddlers' birthday there. But they were sent to daycare as soon as we entered the lot. Yes, children and toddlers shouldn't go to adults restaurants. But it would be great if we could make our restaurants specially for kids and toddlers. So that they could come there with their parents. I wish we had a lot trait "kids friendly" - lots that would be mostly visited by little ones. There are few children in my special restaurant (only of my active family). And that's very sad.:(

As for your problem, toddlers do learn something at daycare, but very little. And they usually return home sad from there. I tried to hire a nanny once and that was awful.:eek: (feeling myself a Grumpy Cat LOL) Would be much easier to have the son together with his mom. (He could spend time in the special room, where only his mom is allowed to come.)

Anyway, good luck to your sim in her business and with her son!

3. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

SnarkyWitch Coffee junkie and professional loudmouth
    Storyteller

Writer
    I ended up using the Master Controller mod to change the skill rate gain for the household and speed up toddler skills. Unfortunately, it affects the whole household, not just specific Sims so I feel cheaty, but it was the only way I could have my toddlers build their skills in a timely fashion so my Sim could go back to managing her restaurant. I have it set to 5 now, which is way too fast. The toddlers max out potty skill in one potty trip and communication skill after babbling to a stuffed animal a couple of times. I'm going to have to lower it to 3 or 2, see which setting is a good balance. I want a significant boost to toddler skills without feeling like everything is *too* easy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. amandieu
    Dazed

Triangle Wizard
    This is what I miss about open worlds so much. I also find when I use a Get To Work career, or one of my sims have to go somewhere without the others, I come home and everyone is either full mood or in mood failure and it takes a day to "recover".