1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're not seeing your confirmation registration e-mail in your inbox, make sure you check your spam folder! Contact Us for further assistance or Resend confirmation e-mail !
    Dismiss Notice

How to play The Sims 4 (and other PC games) on your TV

Discussion in 'Helpful Links' started by SnarkyWitch, Feb 17, 2016.

1. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

SnarkyWitch Coffee junkie and professional loudmouth Storyteller
    6/12

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff, Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff, Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff, Sims 4 Dine Out, Sims 4 Kids Room Stuff, Sims 4 City Living, Sims 4 Vintage Glamour Stuff, Sims 4 Vampires, Sims 4 Parenthood, Sims 4 Fitness Stuff

I just figured out how to do this the other day and I thought it was pretty wicked so I decided to write up a tutorial.

Intro
    Do you ever wish you could curl up comfortably on the couch and play your PC games on your TV rather than being glued to that uncomfortable office chair to use your desktop? Maybe you have a laptop but lament at how small the screen is and wish you had a bigger screen to enjoy your games on. This tutorial will show you how to hook up your laptop to the TV so you can enjoy your PC games on a bigger screen from the comfort of your couch.​

What You Will Need
    • A laptop with the PC games you want to play installed on it and an HDMI port (you can use a desktop but it will have to be very close to your TV for the HDMI cord to reach so a laptop is easier because it's portable and I recommend that over a desktop).
    • An HDMI cord (the longer, the better)
    • A wireless keyboard (or a wired one that's long enough to reach from your laptop to wherever you're sitting)
    • A wireless mouse
    • A TV with an HDMI port
    • An Xbox controller (optional)
    • Some basic tech knowledge (you need to know what an HDMI cord is and where to plug it in on your devices and how to connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to your laptop, that's about it).

The Steps
    1. Get your laptop, turn it on and make sure your wireless keyboard (or Xbox controller if you choose to use that, instead) and mouse are properly connected to it. Every keyboard and mouse is a little bit different so just follow the manufacturer's instructions to get that set up.
    2. Get your HDMI cord and use it to connect your laptop to your TV. Make sure both your laptop and your TV have an HDMI port. Most newer laptops and TVs (made within the last 5 years or so) will have an HDMI port but very old laptops and TVs are not likely to have one. All smart TVs have HDMI capabilities. The HDMI cord will project whatever is on your laptop screen onto your TV.
    3. Grab your TV's remote controller and look for a button that either says Input or Source. Pressing that button will allow you to change the TV's input setting. You'll want one of the HDMI inputs. If pressing the Input/Source button just flicks you to another input, just keep pressing the button until you find the one that has your laptop's screen on it. If pressing the Input/Source button brings up a menu, choose one of the HDMI inputs (there may be more than one if your TV has several HDMI ports) and just go through the HDMI inputs until you find the one that's displaying your laptop screen.
    4. Since setting up your wireless mouse and keyboard was one of the first things you did, just take those to wherever you're sitting and use them to launch whatever PC game you'd like to play, using your TV as your monitor.
    5. When your game launches, just play as normal from your couch with your wireless keyboard (or Xbox controller) and mouse! You're now playing your PC games on your TV! Pretty neat, huh? :)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Eca
    Fine

Eca Ultimate Member
    70/90

I knew and thanks for guide. You could share some photos or a video.

:thumbsup::bigsmile:

3. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

155/180

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff, Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff, Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff, Sims 4 Dine Out, Sims 4 Kids Room Stuff, Sims 4 City Living, Sims 4 Vintage Glamour Stuff, Sims 4 Vampires, Sims 4 Parenthood, Sims 4 Fitness Stuff

I'm not sure how helpful a video would be since every TV, laptop, keyboard and mouse is different. The HDMI ports would be in different places on everyone's TVs and laptops. I might post a photo of what an HDMI port looks like though so people can find it on their own devices. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

155/180

SMALL ADDITION TO TUTORIAL

If you're not-so-savvy with all this HDMI stuff, I've grabbed a couple images off the web to help you identify an HDMI cord and an HDMI port. All electronic devices are set up differently so they'll all have their HDMI ports in different places but hopefully knowing what you're looking for will help you find where the ports are on your specific device.

220px-HDMI.jpg
    This is what the end of an HDMI cord should look like. It's a bit like a USB except it's in more of a wide hexagon shape instead of just a rectangle.

macro-hdmi-port-14166030.jpg
    This is the corresponding HDMI port. Look for something like this on your devices to plug your HDMI cord into.

Thank you to @Eca for the suggestion to add photos.

• Like Like x 2
  5. sassychassy2000

sassychassy2000
    8/12

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff, Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Spooky Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff, Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff, Sims 4 Dine Out

Thank you. I have mine hooked up now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. SpectreRage
    Very Playful

SpectreRage Ultimate Member
    134/135

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Spooky Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff, Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff

Will this be extra work for my poor little laptop tho? It already overheats from running sims normally

7. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

155/180

The HDMI cord just mirrors whatever's on your laptop onto your TV screen, your laptop wouldn't be under any extra strain playing The Sims than it is normally.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Anichelle
    Inspired

Anichelle Creator
    110/135

my desktop has been hooked up like this to my tv for years

9. Anichelle
    Inspired

Anichelle Creator
    110/135

I play sims on 42 in tv with 5.1 surround sound

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

155/180

Just play the "I'm the boss and I own this house and everything in it, I do what I want!" card with her. Works for my parents lol!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ES1964
    Happy

ES1964
    3/12

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work

Thank you for this!! I never knew you could play it on TV too.

12. Anichelle
    Inspired

Anichelle Creator
    110/135

yeah I have that problem too when others in the house want to play xbox

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ezebit

Ezebit
    6/12

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff, Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Spooky Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff, Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff, Sims 4 Dine Out, Sims 4 Kids Room Stuff

This post made my day. Love you all!

14. Olivia Kennard

Olivia Kennard
    6/12

Sims 4 Base Game, Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Sims 4 Get To Work, Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff, Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff, Sims 4 Spa Day, Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff, Sims 4 Spooky Stuff, Sims 4 Get Together, Sims 4 Dine Out, Sims 4 Backyard Stuff, Sims 4 City Living, Sims 4 Vintage Glamour Stuff, Sims 4 Vampires, Sims 4 Parenthood

How do you connect the xbox one controller to work with the Sims 4? Ive connected mine to my laptop via USB and its working fine and all drivers are up to date but when I launch The Sims 4 it doesn't work.