Sim in the ground?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by WizardJeremy, Feb 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're not seeing your confirmation registration e-mail in your inbox, make sure you check your spam folder! Contact Us for further assistance or Resend confirmation e-mail !
  1. WizardJeremy
    Inspired

WizardJeremy Master Sorcerer and Life State Enthusiast
    Storyteller

I play with a family of sims who are different life states and this one sim of mine appears to be in the ground but i cannot see her body in the ground. her plumbob is lower than normal and when she picks up stuff it's on the floor following her, i can also see the speech bubbles pop up on the ground itself. i've tried reseting her via cheats but i can't seem to stop it.

Does anyone have a fix?

2. SnarkyWitch
    Very Sad

SnarkyWitch Coffee junkie and professional loudmouth
    Storyteller

Writer
    I know this thread is super old but I saw you never got an answer so just in case you're still having trouble with this, I *think* I can help but it's a mix of good and bad news, I'm afraid.

This happened to me back when I was doing my legacy challenge, The Charm Legacy. On top of Sims being stuck in the ground, they would frequently sink into their beds and portraits on the wall would go blank with just a question mark. Basically, my whole game turned into something out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie, it was kind of terrifying. I tried everything I could think of, but nothing would fix the issue. It would keep happening over and over again.

I ended up finding out that this kind of stuff happens when your entire save file has become corrupted. It happens a lot with Sims 3, especially when playing generational files. After around generation 3 or so, things start to explode all over the place. Basically, the save is no good anymore. Nothing will fix that save file, you have to abandon it entirely.

The good news is that you can still salvage your household. Package up your family with their lot and save them to your library, along with any other custom lots or households you want to salvage because you're going to be starting over in a fresh save with them. After you have everything you want to carry over safely stored in your library, start a new game and select the same world your family was in before so you end up with a brand new, fresh version of that world. Plop down your salvaged lots and households wherever they were before and make that your new save.

Some extra tips to help stop this from happening in the future:
    • Choose Save As... rather than Save. The more backups and different versions you have of your family, the better. If you end up having to scrap your save again, you're more likely to have a spare save to fall back on. Also, choosing Save As... lessens the risk of file corruption because you're saving a new file rather than overwriting an existing one over and over again, which can cause problems after a while.
    • Package your household and save them to your library whenever a major change happens (a death in the family, a new baby, a marriage, etc) so you always have a recent backup version of them if anything ever goes wrong again.
    • I recommend doing a full restart like I described once a generation if you do plan to play through many generations. It'll be weird seeing Sims around town that should have died from old age a few generations back, but it's not nearly as bad as having to put up with glitchy insanity every time you try to play. Basically, whenever your next heir takes over the household, save to library, start a new game, plop them down and keep going in that new save until the next heir takes over.
    Just a note that if you start over like this and you're transferring multiple households over to a new save, your Sims will lose any relationships they had with the Sims in the other households you saved and will view them as strangers. This can be fixed with Twallan's Master Controller mod.