Sims lagging in Sims 4

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Melanin Sim, Oct 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're not seeing your confirmation registration e-mail in your inbox, make sure you check your spam folder! Contact Us for further assistance or Resend confirmation e-mail !
  1. Melanin Sim
    Very Uncomfortable

student
    Um, does anyone know how to stop Sims from lagging? I use CC and have a Mac, and play on low/medium on laptop mode. It's been doing this for a while, and I even did a CC purge a while back, but now my sims won't stop just standing as time passes. I'll be playing for under 30 minutes before none of my sims or NPCs stop what they're doing. I'm not sure what to do. It's gottten worse in the past few weeks.

2. SnarkyWitch
    Inspired

SnarkyWitch Coffee junkie and professional loudmouth
    Storyteller

Writer
    #2 SnarkyWitch, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Have you updated your game? There was a patch a couple weeks ago that made major optimization improvements, including getting rid of lag. Make sure your game is updated to the latest version by opening Origin, right-clicking The Sims 4 and selecting Check for Updates.

I know you said you recently did a CC purge, but try taking out your Mods folder entirely and playing for an hour or two to see if that improves performance. If you notice an improvement with the Mods folder gone, then the culprit is likely corrupt, poorly-made, or outdated CC. There are two ways to fix this:

1. If you don't have a lot of CC, you can simply put one file in, play test, then take it out and put another file in, play test, etc, until you find the piece of CC that's causing problems.
    2. If you have quite a lot of CC, the 50/50 method is better.
    • Split your Mods folder in half.
    • Put one half back in and play. If problem persists, the bad CC is in that half. If not, it's in the other half.
    • Take the half that is still causing issues and split that in half.
    • Repeat step 2 and continue on in this manner, splitting the problem half into another half until you're left with only one file, which is your problem file.
    If you've done all this and are still having problems, you may simply just have too much CC. Try to limit the amount of CC you use to just the bare necessities that you cannot live without. For me, that's custom skin and eyes. I can do without everything else, but everyone's different.

If you play with mods as well, it is very important that you update them for every patch. Do not play with your mods after a patch until the creators of the mods have either released a new version or declared the current version compatible with the latest patch.

If none of this helps, pay attention to the time in the game when the lag starts happening. Is it at exactly 8am every morning when the kids and teens in the household have to go to school? This is a known issue that the SimGurus are still working on fixing, but I've found I can jumpstart my Sims into action again by opening the menu at 8am and waiting for the game to pause on its own. It can take a minute or two. Once the game pauses, exit the menu and the game should be running normally again.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. WoolieMouse
    Very Happy

#3 WoolieMouse, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    I've been experiencing lag and defiant Sims lately. More so than ever before. Things seem to be glitching quite often and Sims getting stuck in places they didn't used to get stuck in. Conversations with other sims are where I'm finding the most trouble. The Sims will "freeze" in place and act as if they are conversing (with thought bubbles only no animations) but they won't finish the task. They also won't move on to the next task. Time will pass and their happiness will lower for as long as an entire night before they start doing other tasks or stop the frozen conversation. Sometimes I even have to exit the game and restart to get them to move on. Many other odd things seem to be happening as well. Also, when my Sims sing even after they finished the task and days pass you can still hear the singing throughout the lot until I restart the game. That has always been a problem though. I'm fairly sure that isn't from the recent patches. I figured the rest of the problems were coming from recent patches.

4. Melanin Sim
    Very Uncomfortable

student
    Hmmm, okay, I'll try all of this. I'm honestly kind of new to playing the Sims(almost been a yr) so I'm still learning some things. Thanks!