The Sims 4 Go to School: Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Modding Corner' started by Zerbu, Dec 6, 2015.

1. If you're not seeing your confirmation registration e-mail in your inbox, make sure you check your spam folder! Contact Us for further assistance or Resend confirmation e-mail !
  1. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

#1 Zerbu, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Mod Constructor, my new program, will significantly speed up the process of creating mods. That means time and patience will be much less of an obstacle, since most of the repetitive tasks will be a simple matter of entering values into textboxes.

In the future, probably early next year (possibly even late this year but unlikely) I plan to recreate all my existing mods in Mod Constructor. With that, there's room for major features that would previously have drove me crazy with impatience. In fact, tasks that would have originally took days could be done in a few hours, and tasks that would have taken several hours could be done in one hour or less.

My most popular mod is Go to School, which is the first I'll revamp. If you have any suggestions, post them in this thread. I can't promise that everything is possible, but I'm open to any suggestion, even if it sounds like it will be too much work.

I'll also take suggestions for improvements to the school system in general. Also, feel free to suggest general stuff for Child and Teen Sims, and I'll see if I can work it into the school system in some way.

My goal is to create a mod that can be played in a variety of different ways, so it won't feel repetitive and will bring different experiences for different Sims.

New Features to be Considered:
    • Teacher active career - this is probably the most requested feature I've received. Creating a new career (quadruple points if it's an active one) would normally be a lot of work, but Mod Constructor will speed up the process.
    • More realistic classes - instead of fulfilling random goals, the objective of a class is to listen to a lecture by a teacher done at a podium.
    • Themed classes - depending on the day, and possibly other factors, Sims will be asked to fill specific themed goals. For example, a day dedicated to art or cooking.
      • A principal and themed teacher NPCs (suggested by ordenacor)
    • Active prom
      • Similar to Get Together's "themed nights" feature, a special event could be thrown at the High School every Sunday, with interactions that trigger special events with goals that lead to rewards, such as becoming Prom King/Queen.
        • There could be optional door locks to prevent Sims that don't meet required conditions from entering.
      • If the above method fails, a backup solution would be to have a player initiated social event.
    • Themed nights, other than Prom - during themed nights, Sims will build skills faster, and may have special interactions. There will be different themed nights every day for Child and Teen Sims. (suggested by Tatiana)
    • Custom perk points system - Sims can earn perk points in a variety of ways, such as completing challenges at themed nights. (based on Tatiana's suggestion)
      • There may be club perks that allow Sims in gatherings to earn more points.
    • Nurse career, and possibly other careers that take place at school. (suggested by plumboblot)
      • Perhaps a Caterer NPC and a goal to eat food after the main class is complete? Maybe being a Caterer could be one of the early levels of the Teacher active career.
        • And a Janitor NPC, which would be the first level. That being said, I haven't figured out how to get the game to automatically spawn mess yet, but maybe I can in the future.
    Suggested or based on a suggestion by @G3n3qu1s:
    • Guest Speakers from other active careers. The mod will feature speakers from the Doctor, Detective and Scientist careers at first, with more added when I revamp Turbo Careers.
    • Electives for High School - I'm still thinking of exact details for how this would work.
    • Counsellors for bad students - Talking to a counsellor will make a Sim be able to build school performance faster as well as have a Focused Moodlet.
    • Consequences for Mean Interactions
    • NPC-thrown social events based on school performance
    • More school related interactions
    • School related traits - they will need to have an effect on older Sims as well to avoid them becoming useless.

I'm also thinking of how I can improve the "Hooky" feature, since it seem very few people are actually interested in it. I don't want to remove it altogether, so I'm thinking of ways to have it blend more with the general experience.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. William Hawley

William Hawley
    8/12

We need Go to University please :D and the teachers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

• Like Like x 1
  4. plumboblot

plumboblot
    8/12

if you can , maybe add a career that goes in the school building as a nurse? idk if thats possible at all but it would be cool

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

Content for Child and Teen Sims will be taking priority, but if there's enough time I could still add more adults careers, so added to the list. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ordenacor
    Festive

ordenacor
    3/12

To add more staff to the school. It would be nice to have a principal, art and crafts teacher, sports teacher. Also it would be wonderful to have cafeteria staff and a janitor. I remember in sims 2 university there was someone who prepared food for students.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

I already added the Caterer to the list, but thanks anyway for the suggestion. As for the Principal and themed teachers, added now! :)

8. Tatiana
    Very Sad

Tatiana Procrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member
    200/225

Just throwing some ideas out at you since you mentioned theme nights and to tie into the upcoming clubs.

You could have students who join a sports team and skill up for the athlete career have game nights. Part of that game night could include a pep rally, cheerleaders, and a band. That would really tie in nicely with the musician career (band). You could also have a drama club that puts on plays. Maybe think about the kinds of clubs you find in a school and incorporate those into the mod. The students in those clubs get a leg up when they start a related career as an adult.

• Like Like x 5
  9. G3n3qu1s
    Bored

G3n3qu1s Crazy Lady Here Storyteller
    135/180

Horse Chaser, Future Youtuber
    All of your ideas to consider are awesome!!! Would prom be playable? (I'd assume so) I agree with all of @ordenacor and @Tatiana ideas! What about field trips to the public pool venue? Also It'd be awesome if a school could be considered both an Elementary and High School venue so both ages could be in the same building.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

#10 Zerbu, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Those are all really good suggestions! :D

Some of them are a little *too* complicated, even for Mod Constructor, but I like the idea of more themed nights. I originally only planned to have Prom as a themed night, but having one every day would be a lot more interesting. I could create a custom perk points system, with rewards that can be "bought" from school staff. I could also include a club perk that boosts the amount of points earned at certain events. I'm not sure if attaching special themed events to clubs based on their activities would be possible (I could be wrong, though).

There likely won't be any career-related stuff in the first release of the new version, but when I revamp Turbo Careers, I plan to add tie-ins, so your idea for giving Sims a career boost will be considered then. :D

Yep, Prom would be playable! You'd just need to go to the High School on a Sunday night and it would take place there. I'll definitely be adding field trips to public pools, and maybe even have themed goals based on the type of lot the field trip takes place at.:D

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I'll considered your combined school suggestion.
    EDIT 2: Actually... now that I think of it, that would get in the way of themed nights, sorry. :( Thanks anyway though!

• Like Like x 4
  11. SimGirl104
    Happy

SimGirl104
    34/45

Not that I have this mod but maybe something where students can sign up for an after-school sport like soccor, football, etc. I hate though that all the fun things have to be mods

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mikael_K
    Fine

Mikael_K
    8/12

Wow. If you put half of what's been asked I will be quite happy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Zerbu
    Happy

Zerbu Staff Member
    45/68

That's too similar to Tatiana's suggestion, and adding actual, simulated sports would be far too complicated for a mod, but thanks anyway for the suggestion!

I'm hoping to be able to add as much as possible. :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. mrnhmath
    Fine

mrnhmath
    8/12

Update the map icon, to fit with the rest.

15. G3n3qu1s
    Bored

G3n3qu1s Crazy Lady Here Storyteller
    135/180

Horse Chaser, Future Youtuber
    :heartts42:Classes for other languages (symbolic of course) would be cool. Another cool thing would be a high school credits system

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Shinzhia
    Inspired

Shinzhia Supreme Member
    140/180

Painter
    #16 Shinzhia, Dec 6, 2015
    For both, would it be nice if the meet and greet scenario is on the first day of school?
    + Tasks like...
    -- Meet a teacher.
    -- Socialize 10/10 instead of 12/12

2nd day: Club Day/s idea
    -- Join/Create a club (well if this is possible with GT installed) its like you know... gonna be like a specific club thingy or focus just like ts3 (music, art, science etc.)
    ----------- with this you can do some activities with another child/teen in your household (if you join same club) outside of school like someone suggested... afterschool activity. also, field trips can also be depending on a club, just an idea. for some reason i know playing an active family you usually focus your kids to a specific tasks. like "Piano Lesson" = earn a point by playing a piano as a main goal then just add additional goals.
    ---- joining is when you talk to a teacher.since you can only have 1 active sim a time.. then maybe any teacher can be reusable. usually i have 2 to 3 teachers on my school... i heard GT has premade clubs so how about a premade clubs as well at school? this can also be nice to teacher career influencing their students like as a teacher you can select your students to join clubs. ++ a club day maybe?
    -- tasks are depending on what club you're joining in (just rename to whatever ;p)
    ---------- Art (painting, music, wiriting, djs if comboed)
    ---------- Music (if specific)
    ---------- Cooking (or whatever for HS only //all cooking skills //specific)
    ---------- Science and Technology (science, logic, //teaching?)
    ---------- Public Relations (Social like Criminal, politics, //business?)
    ---------- Physical Education (sports and athletic)
    ---------- etc... well this can be expanded through ep releases

Oh and speaking of proms? may i suggest that instead of Sunday? can you make it friday. Sunday for my sims just like rl is a family day :D

//Edit: Another thing is the learn interaction takes so much time..can it be lowered a bit? walking around a big school is a bit frustrating so i had to build a smaller school for easy access >.< when my sim go to school 50% of the time, they're bored. ahahaha!

• Like Like x 6
  17. justanothername
    Playful

justanothername
    3/12

Student
    Maybe it would be nice to be able to play 2 sims at the same time in the school. You see, I have a pair of twins and when they are going to school, I only could play one of them while the other one goes to the regular school

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. xazeria
    Very Focused

xazeria
    8/12

#18 xazeria, Dec 6, 2015
    Can you add notebooks and make it possible for teens to take notes in class? also, if it is possible, could you add like a study hall for teens sims to read books and study to gain more skills.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SimGirl104
    Happy

SimGirl104
    34/45

Well maybe another suggestion I have is maybe holiday parties or maybe when it gets close to the Sims birthday, they can have a celebration at school. I don't know if that thing would be complicated or not

20. LMB10

LMB10
    1/12

Really looking forward to the next version of this mod. Loved the first.

• Agree Agree x 2