Discussion in 'Modding Corner' started by Zerbu, Dec 6, 2015.
Is this mod going to be updated for the latest patch?
I would love it if a cook would come automatically (and for free) if you have an "oven" (I dont know the englisch word for it) from "Dine Out" in the school. So you would have something like a cafeteria (canteen). By now you have to pay 800 Simoleons each day for it and you also have to click each time on it Maybe it would be cool to have the same for a bakery
First of all great work @Zerbu on the mod improvements. I have yet to play with it and only looked/read on the changes.
I'm glad with the per day Subject / Activity, then maybe I could find a way to finish my sim kids' Aspiration. School could/should help players finish their kid sims' Aspirations regardless, since I had a hard time completing Aspirations recently I am not familiar with.
Now on to my suggestions...
For teen sims this is great, but for child sims. Of course, some will like it and you can't help but improvise alternatives because the game doesn't have it. But for depth sake, there are only 4 Aspirations for child sims. Maybe you can incorporate aspiration based activities as a replacement for child sims, since they could only build skills around these 4 aspirations as a child. Although, I'm sure that most of these are already on your mod in most common ways because I've seen them before. Fortifying it per day depends on the Subject would be an advancement that will not only help complete aspiration but will help child sims' improve greatly and stand out on that field.
Only negative moodlet? That's easy as it wore off in time. School can be stressful to kids, that's a fact especially if they don't like the subject matter. How about add perma/temp skill modifier that could slow down their learning process on that subject, skill building, whatsoever as a result when doing activities they don't actually like? Same with teens. This could bring-in new depth to the mod and possibly bring-in new personalities on your future mods. It might conflict with other mods with skill modifiers but after high school and they turn YA, that function could then be by-passed by skill modifiers mod or when they be-friend a counsellor according to your current mechanics that would reset the skill modifier.
I use your mod to make things easier first time but without depth it gets habitual overtime. That's before though, I haven't played with your mods recently. Maybe later. That's actually the problem with TS4 right now. It lacks gameplay mechanics and proper hardness. There should/could have been some proper hardness that brings out sims on a certain tragedy that they need to work harder because they lack it.
I know collaborating with other modders could be time consuming, but its possible. Incorporating Go to School with the prom mod would be nice. It may not be specifically at school and for those who aren't a fan of social event can miss it. Bring it on!
"Plan a Social Event" as part of the school's daily task that could randomly or specifically pop on Fridays? Maybe as an additional to Do Homework tasks. They have fri, sat or sun to complete this task. This would also solve our day preferences when it comes to proms. So it wouldn't be hard and not bad at all instead of homework. (Sometimes I don't have assignments for a day back then while I was still schooling. I would spend TGIF or TGIS on weekends. My teen life was full of overwhelming huge parties so yeah. My teen sims are even pro-active wiith parties and alike.)
And for those who doesn't have the mod any social event would do. Teen house party is always popular to teens. Or whatever party because those parties are usually extra-curricular activities that doesn't actually affects school but would be nice addition to a mod. It will give us reason to use certain game features with actual ingame purpose/quests instead of "do homework all the time and screw teens life, I got a whim... I will tend my garden!" You also have a social events mod for child sims, immersion and compatibility between mods are always appreciated.
Buuuut of course, these are suggestions. Things I can only imagine.
Thanks for reading and thank you very much for your hardwork on this mod.
since the 1st Dec patch (1.25) I am seeing strange game behaviour with either or both of the Venue mods loaded. This is with no other mods or CC in the game. Directly related to the Venue mods is an issue following woohoo in a bed. The sims are evicted to stand by the bed and 'quiver' in a rapid and manic fashion whilst the game speed indicator goes into ultra, ultra, ultra fast mode. However, the actual game time seems to progress at normal pace because when the game is paused it jumps back to the correct game time. This is in a San Myshuno apartment. The post woohoo quivering occurs almost every time but, occasionally, things are normal.
Also, I have had game pausing and stuttering with just the Venue mods loaded but I cannot say that it is mod related and it is very difficult to reproduce on demand. It has not happened without the mods loaded.
Is this mod still under construction? I found this mod late, and would love to have it in one of my sims game. I really hope this mod is alive and well.
@Cyclelegs and @Mikael Haraldsson
This mod will be having a new version. It is now under Release Candidate and testing phase.
You can download it on @Zerbu website.
I'm having an impossible time downloading the V4 of the mod I don't know why but it just isn't working for me. Is this just my issue with downloading it or can no one else access it either? Thanks!
EDIT: Nvm it was my slow internet XD
Will this mod be updated for new patches?
I am wondering the same thing. I assume someone would have to take over development if that is possible. Right now it seems to work fine,
I am more worried about Zebru's well being. He deleted his blog giving the reason that he is suffering from abuse in his personal life so I just hope he is ok.
Are you going to fix this mod? I think after the Plant Sim challenge, (In April) I tried downloading it after I updated, (ik fml) it doesn't work anymore. It was my first time downloading it. When putting the school lot to school lot, it says "Old Version". And i don't get the option to join my sims when they're going to school. Also, I tried visiting it with a sim, and it was just loading, and then it went to the world map. Also, I tried changing the lot type, but still didn't work.
I think we could add a home school application
I hope he gets better soon
I was observing the "Road to Fame" Mod by Sacrificial and I realized that TS4 also lacks some hardships and drama.
The positive aspects of this mod are new ways of interaction, new actions, new challenges and most importantly, the way it resembles life.
Think about it, nowadays everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame. Now you can have it in TS4. Also, psychologically speaking, every human being wants to be loved, approved and cherished. So it relates to the core of the wants of the human heart.
Now, how about Schools nowadays? Who really enjoys the whole "school experience"? And why kids go to school these days?
If you just try to reproduce this broken system, it's not gonna be interesting.
It'd be nice if this mod could have that "sparkle", that "something more" to it.
Shinzhia made some pertinent observations. I'd like to add some more.
- School x Relationships: many of my students say that they only come to school to see their friends, to do stuff together, have lunch together. Because most kids nowadays are just forced by their parents and the system to come to school. They don't really care about what they are learning since they could learn something more interesting on YouTube. One student once said he learned more from Khan Academy than from his old math's teacher. So doing assignments with your group of friends, within a classroom system can be interesting.
ITG (Inside The Game): It'd be nice if you were assigned to a group in order to have the same class every week, and they had to do assignments/projects in pairs in order to bond.
- School x Special People: this one is a funny observation. At every school I taught, there was always a heartthrob, a troublemaker, an outsider, a queen bee... The Social System that reigns inside schools, also competition stirred up among students, make some archetypes universal. Here in Brazil, we have our version of "Jocks". They are the Athletes, the football players, and for the girls, it can be football or volleyball. They are usually adored by the students, respected by teachers, but they can be a pain in the plum sometimes when they get too self-centered. But they also have that "leader of the pack" trait, they gather people around them with their aura. That's also true to the "prettiest girl in school", or the "Queen Bee"; the "Class Representative", who is usually the most organized and efficient leader in the class, and who usually can unite other "clans" or groups inside the classroom because his/her respect comes from their grades/intelligence and only those who can get better grades can defy their leadership.
ITG: I usually create in every neighborhood I play one group of teenagers for every category: Athletes (1 leader + 1 or 2 friends), The Princesses (1 queen bee + 1 or 2 friends), The Geeks (3 friends), The Rebels/Social Outcasts (3 friends, wearing black and all, associated usually with creative activities, because I like to play more with them), The Band (1 leader + 1 or 2 friends, and I group them in a club with their name), The Artists (3 friends), and the Smart Kids/ Class Representatives (3 friends very organized and responsible, that reunite to make homework together). Oh, depending on the neighborhood, I can also create an Asian group, just because I like oriental features. And I usually make them into a band, because of K-Pop. lol
As for kids, since they don't divide themselves into groups at their age yet because their personalities aren't that complex, I just tend to make 4 big groups: the actives/motors, the creatives, the nerds/brains, and the socials. When I create clubs for groups of friends, I take into consideration more their traits and aspirations than other things.
- School x Special Abilities: what if the school offered more "tasks" or goals, or assignments, idk, that could raise those special abilities, like Good Manners, Responsibility, Conflict Resolution and Empathy? Like what if your sim could be given a task to help your teacher collect projects, or clean the classroom like the Japanese, or help a friend who is crying in the bathroom, take someone to the infirmary, calm someone down, help someone do extra homework due to low performance. This would be more important for kids than teenagers gameplay, I think, but it's important to learn those things at school as well.
- School x Drama: so, school nowadays is all about social activities and relationships. In real life and in social media. There could be more social media interactions, like... talking to classmates, or giving a "like" to a classmate profiles, or "follow" someone's social media. With the right whim, a teenager could rant or dislike someone's profile as well. And doing that often could give you a "bad reputation" or moodlet, like "social stalker" or "virtual bully", that could make all your social interactions have a big chance of failure, or people getting mad of you. Teenagers could also get embarrassed when they post stuff on social media and nobody liked it. lol, That's very realistic. Also, having a lot of followers on your social media could give you special reputations or "moodlets", or increase your social skills so your social interactions could be more efficient.
What could also add drama to the gameplay is competition and dispute between groups.
First, the idea of "social group" should be redesigned, as you could be assigned automatically to standard groups, like "classmates", "drama club" and so on. That would probably require the registration of your sim on one class or another with the school principal. And classes shouldn't be bigger than 6 for kids and 8 for teenagers. Activities clubs could be smaller as well, from 4-6.
With that in mind, there could be disputes between clubs, like "you from the Basketball Team (club) can't be friendly with the Chess Club or Gamers Club." and vice-versa. And when a teenager throws a party at home, those he doesn't invite could get mad at him temporarily. lol And giving a bad party where nobody shows up could affect your school performance if you got an embarrassed moddlet that could let study in peace. lol Oh, Drama!
Oh, and debates. There could be school representatives for each class, like the system of "leader" inside a social club, and being the representative would require your sim to fulfill random tasks, like distributing homework, collecting homework, present yourself in school debates. There could also be an event where your sim can become a candidate for representative, and you'd need to ask around the school for votes. Much like the political system inside the game, but with interactions like "Request better desert at cafeteria" or "Request a vegetarian menu at cafeteria", or "Students are obliged to wear the uniform at school" or "Ban school uniform". And depending on the voter trait and your relationship with them, you could successfully sell your ideas and gain a vote, which could lead to you becoming the president of your class/school or Queen or King of the school.
- School x Club Activities: so, it'd be interesting to have club activities after school, where kids could be given bigger tasks to achieve, like creating a school play, or creating a rocket ship (a school version of it), or creating bigger objects for woodwork classes, idk. Some ideas. I tried not to add to my ideas things like new activities or objects and animations, but sometimes it's nice to have really new stuff. I just don't know if you do these projects in a collab, and if there are people who can create those sort of stuff for you, but new objects could add new tasks for club activities. Also, if you had a lot of other students participating, you could add other School Events, like "Cultural Festival", "Science Fair" and "School's Olympics". These are some of the events we have here in Brazil.
The Cultural Festival is very broad, consists of exhibition of artworks they did throughout the year, the students rehearse and present dances at the festival, and we also have foods that are sold with the help of the Parent's Association, and all of those are done with the theme "Cultures Around the World", so we usually assign a class with a country, and the kids research their culture, music, dance, food, language, architecture and most representative artists and writers. I think that's why Brazil is so open to other cultures, kids are taught about its value at school.
School's Olympics is a week, like a Golden Week, where kids dispute Sports matches with other students around their ages (6-8/9-11/12-15 for middle school). The sports are Soccer/Football (Futebol), Basketball, Volleyball, Handball, and Running. The winner team/classroom gets medals, gold, silver or bronze.
Science Fair is an event where kids gather their researches on the subjects of Biology, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths, and they present it to their parents. The best project gets a prize. The Cultural Festival's winning classroom also gets a prize and usually involves free food or a free trip for the class or the team.
ITG: There could be more Social Events, beyond the Prom. You could pull of a Science Fair with the right objects and interactions, every group (consisting of 2 or 3 classmates) could have a table where they need to place their school project, 3 teachers could come talk to them so they need to explain their project, depending on the interactions and on their own skills, they could convince the teacher, entertain, or screw up everything. The winning team could gain Skills + Life Skills + School Performance + Prize. The prize could be those cool plumbobs, for example. Even money would be nice... or tablets, computer, video games.
A Cultural Festival would be much more complex, but it could be fun, even more for teenagers. Students could be responsible for Food Stalls, and depending on their skill, they could make Indian, Chinese, or Thai food. They could accumulate points/money depending on how many they sold or even not being paid at all if their skills sucked too much. And win/lose Life Skill depending on the success of these interactions.
Imagine if a hot-headed teenager was responsible for a food stall and cook poorly. If the customer sent back the food because was awful, they could lose emotional control and throw a tantrum.
They could also have to train "group dances", with a basic dance floor at school. Every group would have to compete by presenting a group dance, and receive a "grade" based on the skills of the dancers, much like the Karaoke event, where you go sing and get a grade. There could also be a singing contest at school or "band battles". The winners could win skills or even moodlets. Imagine your sim's band won the 1st prize, you could win a moodlet that made you feel at the top of the world, where you could have more "social influence" on people, or gain relationships faster. Even fans! lol
So, in the School Mod, it'd be nice to come to school only to see your heartthrob every day, and see your group of friends, and create memories together. Having these "categories" of sims inside the game would be nice, would add more to the gameplay.
Also, having classes in groups and eating together at the cafeteria would be fun. Social activities are important at that age, having interactions such as "Eat together" could be fun, like an "social event" with tasks to achieve in order to improve the relationship of the group, like "Make Jokes 2 times", "Talk about food flavors", "Talk about dreams", "Do an Impression", "Talk trash about x someone" or "Talk bad/good stuff about teacher/subject", etc.
More Social Events could add more challenge to the gameplay than just go to class and fulfill the tasks and whims.
Also, what if Kids could have a mascot at school they should take care of? I think the Pets pack added that possibility now. Once a week you child sim could be assigned to take care of the pet, feed and clean, and by doing so, one would gain more responsibility and empathy. That could also happen if the school had a garden where kids were assigned to take care of it as part of a class.
Anyways, there are so many possibilities! I hope some of these thoughts can inspire you in your creation.
All in all, I'm already very grateful for your hard work, Zerbu! Gambatte!!! ^______^
I see all these AWESOME suggestions and I know your plate must be hella full, but I'd like try and add few more suggestions to mull over.
1) Have kids/teens automatically go to their home rooms
-- Home rooms should be auto assigned as of first day of school
2) Give a choice between school types such private schools that have to have a set trait assigned to a sim to get in
-- Have a staff school trait so the adults can get in as well
-- If you have a sim that is a chef that gets randomly selected as the school's chef then they automatically get the trait when hired and lose it when fired.
3) Even though it's pretty ridiculous to try and simulate sporting clubs it'd be WONDERFUL if kids could at least sign up and then tryout, but they disappear through a door marked with a decal like what we use for the Principal and counselor offices. They stay gone for about 1hr and then show back up looking happy or depressed. If they're happy they get that sport decal added to their sim info maybe as a trait so they can bond with others too...similar to clubs. But because it's for kids/teens if they meet a sim from another school with the same sports trait they clash over rivalry.
4) Detention! Have kids/teens have to stay late after school for skipping classes, for getting busted with drugs (if you use the Basemental drugs mod), for being late to school/class too often, or for having a fight with the staff. Detention should last 2hrs and just make the kids sit and take notes. If they have the Rebellious or slacker traits they should keep falling asleep at their desks.
-- A teacher, counselor, or Principal should check on the class every 15 sim minutes. Maybe alternate the staff and assign the duty to employees on a rotation ...If that is even possible.
5) Have a school bus pickup/drop-off option.
-- Place a custom sign on a part of the school property the play wants to designate for the pickup/dropoff
-- and the start and end of the day school busses should be there and the sims should appear outside the busses as they arrive at school
-- Busses idle for 10 minutes into start and end of day and then the busses can fade away
-- when the game loads the player to the sims house the bus is idle and the sim appears outside of it then the bus leaves.
6) Have option to designate class clowns and school bullies
7) Have teacher sim animations of them writing on a chalkboard/whiteboard, grading papers, reading to the class, and calling on students to stand up and read aloud.
8) Use the music conduction animation on whatever sim is tasked as the Music teacher
-- 1 min into class they should start conducting
-- 1 min into class sims should be required to start singing or playing their instruments