Long-time fans of The Sims series will have fond memories of Bonehilda, who first appeared in The Sims: Makin’ Magic expansion pack back in 2003. While Bonehilda was not present in The Sims 2, she made a comeback in The Sims 3 with the release of the Supernatural expansion in 2012. Now, nearly a decade later in 2021, Bonehilda makes a return to the series once again in The Sims 4 Paranormal Stuff!
Read on to find out all about this beloved NPC in The Sims 4!
How To Summon Bonehilda
In previous The Sims titles, Bonehilda had her own coffin you could purchase in Build/Buy and place on your Sims’ home lot. She could then be called upon anytime by knocking on her coffin to wake her up.
In The Sims 4 Paranormal Stuff, Bonehilda does not emerge from a coffin. Your Sims will have to spend a bit of time building their Medium skill in order to unlock the ability to summon her at the new Séance Table. Summoning Bonehilda requires Level 3 Medium Skill, so it doesn’t take a lot of skill grinding to unlock her. She can also be summoned anytime you like, just like in previous games. The only restriction on summoning Bonehilda is that she can’t be summoned if she is already on the lot.
When Summoned, Bonehilda will stick around for about 12 in-game hours before leaving the lot, but you can summon her again immediately. There is no cooldown period for summoning her.
What Does Bonehilda Do?
Bonehilda does everything she did in previous games, and more! Not only will she cook, clean, and tend to children for your Sims, but she’ll also fight off Temperance for you if you happen to be living in a haunted house.
Things Bonehilda will do:
- Cook meals
- Procure random quick meals out of thin air for your Sims
- Mop up puddles
- Tidy up and wash dirty dishes
- Take out trash and pick up knocked-over trash bins
- Repair broken objects
- Tend to newborn babies
- Help toddlers with their needs and help them build skills
- Help children and teens with homework
- Put away pet and child toys if there is an available toy box on the lot to put them in
- Fight Temperance
Things Bonehilda won’t do:
- Greet guests at the door
- Clean up/remove cursed objects in haunted homes
Having a maid who’s also good at keeping nasty spirits away is super handy! Summon her whenever your Sims are too scared or stressed to keep up with household chores or when they need protection from not-so-friendly paranormal beings!
Other Information About Bonehilda
Bonehilda has a few unique quirks and behaviours she’ll do autonomously, mostly just for comedic purposes. She also has traits and an aspiration like other Sims, along with some hidden and reward traits. Sims can socialize with Bonehilda like any other Sim and even romance her!
- Bonehilda can be befriended and romanced. The Romance social category is available on her after your Sims introduce themselves to her for the first time.
- You can WooHoo with Bonehilda, but you cannot Try for Baby with her without the use of cheats. More on that in the next section.
- You cannot invite Bonehilda to become a member of your household without the use of cheats. More on that in the next section.
- Bonehilda’s presence can sometimes give Sims an “Uneasy Presence” Tense moodlet
- Bonehilda is fond of drinking water; however, since she’s a skeleton, it just goes right through her and creates a puddle on the floor. She is polite enough to clean up the resulting puddles, though.
- Bonehilda frequently does amusing flirty dances as an idle animation
- Bonehilda likes to admire herself in mirrors
- Bonehilda has the same idle animation of spraying random surfaces in the house that the butlers from Vintage Glamour Stuff do.
- Bonehilda’s traits are Family-Oriented, Neat, Creative, Domestic (Bonus), Brave (Reward Store), and Chopstick Savvy (Hidden)
- Bonehilda has the Big Happy Family aspiration
- If Get Famous is installed, Bonehilda starts out with a Pristine Reputation.
Using Cheats to Open Up More Options with Bonehilda
Although Bonehilda can’t become a member of your household through regular gameplay, she can be made playable using cheats. Open the cheat console with CTRL+C (or all four back triggers on console), then type in testingcheats true and hit Enter (or X/A on console). Please be aware that using this cheat will permanently disable trophies/achievements on that save if you are playing on console!
Once testing cheats have been enabled, SHIFT-CLICK on Bonehilda (or O+X/B+A on console) to bring up a debug cheat menu. The option Add To Family should appear. Click that to add Bonehilda to your household and now you can have Bonehilda as a fully playable Sim! There are a couple things to keep in mind if you do this. Firstly, Bonehilda will lose her Maid role and may not do all of the things she did while she was an NPC maid. She will still clean frequently due to her Neat trait, however. Secondly, you won’t be able to use the Séance Table to summon Bonehilda anymore if you make her a playable member of the household. You cannot summon Bonehilda while Bonehilda is already on the lot. Since she is always on the lot as a household member, the option to summon her will be permanently greyed out.
If you’re looking to start a family with Bonehilda, you can do that as well! With cheats, of course. You cannot Try for Baby with Bonehilda while she is an NPC maid, so use testing cheats to make her a playable member of your household as described above. You’ll notice that you still can’t Try for Baby with Bonehilda even with a maxed out romance bar, but there is a very easy way to get around this.
Just go into CAS and check out Bonehilda’s gender settings. Make sure she is tagged to become pregnant, then exit CAS. Bonehilda can now become pregnant! You can Try for Baby with Bonehilda now.
When Bonehilda is pregnant, she won’t have a baby bump, but will still walk like she’s pregnant in the second and third trimesters. Bonehilda’s children will just be regular humans with no special traits or abilities due to having a skeleton mother, but it’s still a great storytelling tool for players all the same. Personally, I find it a little sad that Bonehilda’s aspiration is Big Happy Family, yet she’s unable to have a family of her own through regular gameplay. Being able to give Bonehilda the loving family she’s always wanted through the use of cheats gave me warm fuzzy feelings.