We break down how to make the most of werewolf ranks and abilities!
In The Sims 4 Werewolves, werewolves can progress in strength and power as they use their newfound abilities. Raising your werewolf rank grants you points to spend on more abilities. The higher your rank, the more powerful abilities you can purchase.
After you get the Werebies illness and fully transform into a werewolf (provoking Greg is a good way to become a werewolf if you didn’t start out as one in CAS), you will start at the Pup rank. Continue using Werewolf abilities to gain experience and increase your rank so you can take on better abilities.
There are five werewolf ranks, each one opening up the next tier of abilities on your werewolf’s ability tree.
Every time you use a werewolf ability, you gain experience towards reaching the next rank. Pups start out with two points to spend on the first tier of abilities. As they increase their rank, they’ll be awarded more points and higher tiers of abilities will become available. Werewolves get one point each time they fill up one half of the experience bar. There is a marker midway through the experience bar at each rank to show you when you will receive your next point.
This continues all the way until Apex rank. Once your werewolf becomes an Apex, you will have to completely fill up the progress bar to gain another point. Every time you overmax the bar at Apex rank, it resets, allowing you to continue to fill up the bar and gain more points indefinitely as an Apex werewolf. This means werewolves can eventually possess every ability on the ability tree, although it will take you quite a long time to achieve this.
There are five tiers of abilities your werewolf can unlock, corresponding with your werewolf’s rank. Each rank you gain unlocks the next tier of abilities for purchase.
Some abilities require another ability from a lower rank to be purchased first before you can purchase them.
- Ferocity: Unlocks the Ferocious Intimidation interaction on Sims, which will cause them to run and sometimes drop simoleons when they do.
- Wolf Nap: Allows you to sleep anywhere on the ground.
- Territory Marking: Allows you to squat and pee anywhere on the ground.
- Scavenger: Unlocks the ability to dig anywhere on the ground for relics and other treasures.
- Personal Grooming: Allows you to replenish your Hygiene motive by licking yourself clean.
- Voracious Hunger: Allows you to eat almost anything… including furniture.
- Hunter: Unlocks the ability for your werewolf to go hunting for fresh meat. They’ll disappear off the lot for a time and come back with raw meat in their inventory.
- The Will to Resist: Gain the ability to will yourself back into your human form when you transform against your will. Attempting to regain control after involuntarily transforming works most of the time but not always. If successful, your Fury will also reset to zero.
- Enhanced Smell: You’ll be able to smell the surroundings to sniff out useful things like the precise location of treasures buried underground. Extremely useful when paired with the Scavenger ability.
- Sombre Howl: Your werewolf can howl to greatly reduce their Fury but it will saddle them with a minor Sad moodlet for a time. This ability has a cooldown period.
- Lunar Blessing: Any benefits from the current moon phase remain active during daytime hours.
- Nightvision: Allows your werewolf to see better in the tunnels. Helpful for finding more relics and other treasures while exploring the tunnel system.
- Natural Healing: Your werewolf will recover from injuries more quickly.
- Pack Howl: (Requires Hunter) Gain the ability to howl with nearby werewolves to replenish the Social motive.
- Curse Bearer: Gives your werewolf the ability to infect other Sims with Werebies by biting them, either with or without permission from the recipient.
- Vicious Howl: Your werewolf can let out such a terrifying howl that all nearby non-werewolves will faint from fear.
- Hunting Party: Your werewolf can go hunting in a group as a social activity.
- Lunar Resistance: Your werewolf becomes immune to the effects of the full moon.
- Tunneler: (Requires Scavenger) A method of quick travel around the world where your werewolf will burrow underground and come out of the ground in a different area.
- Primal Instincts: Allows your werewolf to activate their primal instincts which makes them more resistant to negative emotions.
- Super Speed: Allows you to run incredibly fast.
- Alpha Wolf: Win most fights against other werewolves.
- Immortal Wolf: (Requires Natural Healing) Makes your werewolf immortal and allows them to live forever, barring any unforeseen accidents.
- Lunar Howl: Gain the ability to reroll your temperaments by using the Lunar Howl self-interaction. This can only be done outdoors at night and has a 24 hour cooldown period. You cannot control which new temperaments you’ll gain. You just have to keep using Lunar Howl every night until you get a set of temperaments you like.
- Legacy of the Lycan: Allows you to exchange any unused ability points for 250 Satisfaction Points each. This ability can be selected multiple times. Especially useful for players who already have every werewolf ability and can no longer spend their ability points on new abilities.
In addition to abilities that can be unlocked and purchased through progressing in your werewolf ranks, there are also dormant abilities that can be unlocked. All werewolves possess these abilities but they don’t become active until your werewolf unlocks that power.
Each dormant ability has a different requirement to be unlocked. Once unlocked, your werewolf is permanently able to use that ability. A werewolf can unlock all six dormant abilities if they want.
- Unlock By: Reaching Delta rank in a wolf pack
- Description: Can pacify other werewolves to help them lower their Fury. This ability has quite a long cooldown period per Sim; a few days from what we could see while playing.
- Unlock By: Reading any of the werewolf books in Moonwood Mill. You may have to read quite a few books; it took us some time to unlock it.
- Description: Your werewolf will be able to decipher the ancient language written on the Moonwood Relic collection pieces. This will reveal lore about Moonwood Mill’s history when you hover over any deciphered relic piece.
- Unlock By: Using Practice Howling, Share Werewolf Experiences, or Pack Mentor on a Good Friend werewolf as a Veteran werewolf.
- Description: Werewolves with this ability offer bonus experience gain, mood boosts, and relationship boosts to any werewolf they mentor, howl with, or share werewolf experiences with.
- Unlock By: Using Ferocious Intimidation, Vicious Howl, or Turn into Werewolf on a Sim who is already frightened while your Fury is below maximum
- Descripion: Your werewolf will become Playful when scaring non-werewolves.
- Unlock By: Successfully Ask for Werewolf Sympathy on a non-werewolf Sim
- Description: Your werewolf can bestow the Werewolf Ally trait on other Sims which will make them no longer fear werewolves.
- Unlock By: Preventing your werewolf from scaring any Sims during a Fury-induced rampage. This is more difficult than it seems! Werewolves will autonomously send frightening texts to people while rampaging (even while locked in an empty room). This counts as scaring a Sim and the action can’t be cancelled. We found it easiest to unlock this ability by using the Will to Resist ability successfully immediately upon transforming before getting an opportunity to scare anyone. You can also have a werewolf with Werewolf Empathy pacify your Sim as soon as they transform.
- Description: Your werewolf will be able to transform into a werewolf and back into a human whenever they want; however, they are still vulnerable to transforming involuntarily during a full moon and when their Fury maxes out.