Here’s our full summary of a strangely vague expansion pack stream…
Last week’s “live” gameplay stream for The Sims 4 Horse Ranch has been greatly anticipated by players looking to get a first hand look at brand new content not previously shown off in the trailers. Unfortunately, that didn’t seem to happen. The so-called “livestream” was not in fact live; it was prerecorded and under an hour long in length, which is unheard of for an expansion pack. Typically, expansion pack streams get a full two hours dedicated to them in their gameplay streams.
Many big features of this expansion were simply glossed over and not shown off in any kind of detail at all, such as the equestrian competitions and social events. The stream ended with very little new information being shared. Nonetheless, we do have a full summary of all the main talking points discussed during today’s Sims 4 Horse Ranch stream.
Table of Contents
The Sims 4 Horse Ranch Gameplay Stream Summary
- Horses can be given up to 3 traits in CAS
- Some additional traits are only available through breeding
- Make foals and horses in CAS
- Lots of breeds to choose from
- Horses have the full range of customization that cats and dogs have, as well as new stencils and stamps for horse coat patterns
- Lots of horse accessories. Leg wraps, tail bows, little hats, saddle pads, blankets, and more.
- Horses have both an everyday outfit and a riding outfit
- Lots of tack available for a horse’s riding outfit. Mostly Western gear but some English gear as well
- Lots of dirty clothes for realistic ranch wear but there are clean varieties too
- CAS parts for all ages (yes, including infants)
- New facial hair
- New hairstyles for masculine and feminine Sims, including 3 hairs inspired by Native American culture which will be in the base game
- New Traits: Rancher, Horse Lover
- New Aspirations: Championship Rider, Expert Nectar Maker
- New Like/Dislike: Riding
- Chestnut Ridge is inspired by old Western films. Residential world with three neighbourhoods.
- Sims can like or dislike riding
- Community board in each neighbourhood with lots of helpful info about horse care and competitions. Purchase and rescue horses, hire a ranch hand, and even find out more about the residents.
- Sims can collect prairie grass in The Sims 4 Horse Ranch. Horses graze on it but Sims can harvest it by hand to make hay.
- New Lot Challenge: wild grass will spread if not cut regularly
- Lots of trails for riding in Chestnut Ridge. Go for a ride all over the trails through canyons and waterfalls and lots of beautiful vistas. Go explore Dreadhorse Cavern for cool rewards and storytelling
- Plenty of barrel racing opportunities and jumping opportunities along the trail as well as fishing spots.
- There are bushes and outhouses along the trail where Sims can relieve themselves when they’re far away from amenities
- There is a great swimming location under a waterfall along the Chestnut Ridge trails.
- Main strip has a general store and a clothing store. You can purchase sheep and goats from the general store.
- Equestrian Centre where Sims can train, watch competitions, buy, sell, and rescue horses here. Jumping, barrel racing, endurance, and western pleasure riding. All competitions are linked to a different skill. Placing in these competitions unlocks higher levels to compete in and can be very lucrative.
- Socialize with horses in The Sims 4 Horse Ranch and give them treats to snack on, become their friend to do well in competitions
- Riding is a new skill. Poor riders will only walk and trot and look very awkward and fall off a lot. Good riders will be able to canter with ease.
- Sims can refill horse feeders wih prairie grass or feed it to their horses by hand.
- Muck out stalls. Multiple types of stalls in different styles to build the perfect stable for you. Assign stalls to horses and that will be the stall they always go sleep in.
- Horses will poop. A lot. Everywhere. Clean it up yourself or hire a rnch hand
- Ranch hands will pick up manure, care for animals, garden, and even fix broken stuff
- Horses have different poop qualities and they look different. Their poop is actually pretty valuable because it’s quality fertilizer
- New recipes, some inspired by Native American cuisine as well as some classic cowboy dishes.
- Sims in Chestnut Ridge will bring this new cuisine as part of the welcome wagon instead of fruitcake
- Two new social events: ranch gathering. Grill, dance, drink, and socialize. Ranch animal day, invite neighbours over to spend time with your animals
- New cowpoke dance coming with The Sims 4 Horse Ranch
- Horses can get spooked by lightning if Seasons is installed.
- Sheep and goats can be hugged, played with, and socialized with. They need to be fed and groomed. They help in the garden by eating weeds and bugs. You can also sheer and milk them.
- Sims who can’t sleep can count sheep to fall asleep
- Some Sims can develop a fear of horses if they have a bad experience with one
- Sims can make nectar which is another new skill in The Sims 4 Horse Ranch. More recipes unlock as you build the skill. The recipes tie into lots of things you can grow in your garden. There’s also cross pack compatibility with the occult packs to create special occult nectars.
- Nectar racks are stackable. As you store your bottles in them, the rack fills up. Storing your nectar for a long time increases the value.
- Once you open a bottle, it only lasts a few days. Nectar can be drunk straight from the bottle or from a glass. Foodie Sims will be horrified by seeing a Sim drink from the bottle.
- Children can ride horses in The Sims 4 Horse Ranch. Horses will help kids mount them since they’re smaller.
- CONFIRMED: Painted ceilings will be a free base game update! They are not exclusive to The Sims 4 Horse Ranch
- Horses can travel through most doors but the specific new barn doors allow you to ride through them.
- New BBQ firebox that looks really Western and rustic
- New bedrolls/sleeping bags
- Ranch signs can be customized with smaller signs and wall décor to really put your mark on them. Bonding with your horse can unlock more signs to add to your big ranch sign.
- Free cam mode will (finally) be added to Build/Buy
- Pretty much any floor tile in the game can now also be applied to ceilings but there are new ceiling tiles too
- New swatches added to a lot of the existing floor tiles too
- A new door added to base game